SGLY: To the graduate
As you step into this next stage of your life, may you put down the baggage of yesterday so you can fully receive the now. The NOW is new, untouched, and full of possibilities. The NOW is where you live, learn, love, and serve — may you do all these and more with gusto!
Here is a collection of 24 reminders to help you celebrate every 24 hours you are gifted:
1. Authenticity is attractive. So are kind people. Be both.
2. Fear is a lousy decision maker. RELAX! God is greater than any circumstance or “what if.” Turn your worries into prayers. Commit to following His Word, will, and His lead.
3. Protect your peace. Give focused attention to what you feed your mind, body, and soul. Take inventory of your daily habits and adjust accordingly.
4. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
5. Put in the practice. Work at an accurate pace. Victories cannot be rushed.
6. Don’t lose good manners or a good sense of humor. Both are invaluable.
7. Never compromise your truth for another’s acceptance.
8. Forgive. Do not repay ugliness with ugliness. Remain classy.
9. You can say no and still be a nice person.
10. Life will beat you down, at times, but only you can decide if you are defeated. Get up. Get dressed. And show up.
11. Not everyone is going to celebrate you. Know this and move on.
12. Keep in touch with family and friends.
13. Fail forward. Be invested in your life — bet on yourself. Risk rejection to fully appreciate success, knowing both are temporary.
14. Stop overthinking. It will work out. Read that again.
15. Feed your creativity — it is one of life’s greatest stress relievers.
16. Pay attention to the company you keep. Do they draw you closer or further away from God?
17. Admit when you are wrong then do what is in your power to rectify the situation. If nothing can be done, learn from it so it does not happen again.
18. Be driven more by your desires than excuses.
19. Embrace imperfections. Let your scars speak to your strength, your personality quirks reflect self-acceptance, and your body exemplify a place you live in with gratitude for what it can do rather than a place you criticize.
20. Don’t undervalue the importance of rest.
21. Talk to people outside your circle — really cool people come in all ages, sizes, ethnicities, and socioeconomic statuses.
22. Pray for those who irritate you. Pray for those who inspire you.
23. Be fluent in love. There are enough people who speak hate and indifference.
24. Never forget the importance of these two words: Thank you.
Congratulations, Graduate. May you never forget your worth and the gift of a new day. Lean into His love as you walk in faith. Blessings and joy!
SGLY, dear reader.
(Smile, God Loves You.)
Tiffany Kaye Chartier is a Christian author and opinion columnist. Submit feedback and connect for more soul lifts on Facebook: Tiffany Kaye Chartier; Instagram:@tiffanysgly; and Twitter: @tiffanychartier. The views and opinions expressed here are the author’s own and do not necessarily reflect those of Texoma Marketing and Media Group.