A student was removed from Melissa High School's campus earlier this week after making a threat against the school.

Melissa School Police Chief Kelly Davidson said the incident occurred near the end of the school day on Monday, Sept. 30. Davidson explained the male high school student was immediately taken into custody and transported off campus to the Collin County Juvenile Detention Center for evaluation.

"There's a lot of stuff floating around that's not true — it got into social media and it went ballistic," Davidson said. "The school wasn't evacuated. There were no weapons involved. There was no threat to a particular person or group of people or race or anything like that."

The Melissa School Police chief compared the online rumors to the children's game "Telephone."

"One kid tells another kid something and by the time it gets back to the parents, it's huge," Davidson said and added that his department takes all threats seriously. "If they're going to make a threat, we want to know if it's valid. But we accept that and we detain them and take them down to get some mental help."

Davidson explained that by law, schools have to notify parents when there is any kind of threat on campus "without delay" and the district used the Remind notification system to communicate the incident to parents. Melissa Independent School District Director of Communication Maddie Coe said the message sent to parents said "a student was removed from the school environment on campus for making a threat" and that the "student will not be returning to school until the matter has been resolved."

Davidson said he didn't have a timetable for when, or whether, the student would return to campus.

"There's an evaluation process and a legal process and that's something with juveniles you can't really discuss, but there is a prolonged process," he said, explaining the matter was in the hands of the county juvenile detention center. "They have a wide range of mental health services and legal services and all that down there. He'll go before a magistrate and they make all the calls from there on."

Davidson, who has been the Melissa School Police chief since 2014, said the Melissa Police Department was notified of the incident but it was handled by the district's department.

"I'm one of these guys — I've been in school 17 years and we're just not going to take chances," Davidson said. "We want to help the person that needs help but we're not going to put anybody at risk."