Halloween Extravaganza 2018 was SUPER Fun!! We had a lot of spooky fun at our Preschool/Homeschool Halloween Event at the Melissa Public Library. We had about 425 preschool aged kiddos and over 300 adults join us for trick-or-treating fun and games at Melissa City Hall. The various city departments presented Super Heroes, Peppa the Pig, Colors-icious and the Melissa Circus. The Melissa Fire Department and Melissa Public Works also brought out their trucks for the little ones to see.
We had several businesses volunteer their time and candy for this event as well. They include Usborne Books, Friends of Melissa Public Library, Community Med/Urgent Care, Texas Road House, State Farm Insurance, Pay it Forward, Geronimo Design Realty, Melissa Education Foundation, Thrivent Financial, Lola’s Local Market and the Rotary Club. Thank you to the City of Melissa’s departments, our sponsors and volunteers for making this event one to remember. Thanks especially to the children and adults who came and shared their morning with us!
The Melissa Public Library is partnering with the Melissa Elementary Schools ‘Hats for Hunger’ fundraiser to benefit the North Texas Feed the Need. Every Friday during the month of November, elementary students can donate one dollar to their teacher in exchange for wearing a hat all day at school to reach a goal of $2,500 to assist in supplying lunches for children who are home on school breaks and may not have breakfast or lunch available. To participate, we as City of Melissa staff and friends will place $1 (or more) in the collection jar in the library each Friday and then will be encouraged to wear a hat inside all day on Friday. (Interesting hats wanted!)
Please consider joining us in supporting our elementary school children. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions! Library friends, wear your hat in and share your donation! Friends and neighbors, wear a hat to the library and donate to this worthy cause!
Community Coat and Outerwear Drive! The chilly mornings are here in North Texas, so as you get ready and have extras, please bring donations to the library for the Melissa Community Outreach. They give out the following items free to those with a need: coats of all size (adult and child and infant), jackets, hats, mittens, gloves, scarves, outerwear sweatshirts, new or gently used. Some pickup available or bring them by the library during regular hours. We will be accepting donations now until Feb. 28th. Thanks so much!
Stop by the library and take a peek at the fascinating 1929 Webster’s International Dictionary donated by Mr. and Mrs. Cecil Gillard. There are words in there that are no longer in our regular usage and we have lots of words that we have added since then!!!
Melissa Public Library and the City of Melissa Offices will be closed on Wednesday, November 21 at 1:00 p.m. and all-day Nov. 22 for the Thanksgiving Holiday. The Melissa Public Library will be open on Nov. 23 and 24.
There will be family activities hosted by the Library daily during the Thanksgiving holiday break - See the schedule below (all activities are at 10:30 a.m.)
• Nov. 19 – Thankful! Come color your own I Am Thankful For placemats!
• Nov. 20 – Scarecrows! Come make a scarecrow craft!
• Nov. 21 – Movie! Come watch A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving! (closed at 1:00 p.m.)
• Nov. 22 – HAPPY THANKSGIVING (CLOSED)
• Nov. 23 – Open Building Blocks Play! We’ll have the building blocks, you bring the ideas!
Children’s Story Time is held weekly at 10:30 a.m. on Fridays at the Melissa Public Library inside Melissa City Hall. Contact Ms. Andrea at email@example.com for questions or to be put on an email list.
• Nov. 9 – Fall Leaves
• Nov. 16 – Thankfulness – We’ll read stories to get ready for Thanksgiving and discuss what we are thankful for.
• Nov. 23 – Family activity – Open Building Blocks Play!
• Nov. 30 – Family – Led by our Youth Services Librarian, Ms. Jennifer
Teen Activities Group (TAG) for ages 8-18, will rock out with Ms. Jennifer! Come join us Thursdays from 4:30 – 5:30 p.m. in the library! Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to join the TAG emailing list!
• Nov. 8 – Art Night! Let’s give back to the community and create some Holiday cards for our service men and women!
• Nov. 15 – Visitor Night! Who will it be? Come by to find out!
• Nov. 22 – HAPPY THANKSGIVING! No TAG! (CLOSED)
• Nov. 29 – Fun times with Mrs. Andrea! Ms. Jennifer will be out of town, but you are going to have a blast with what Ms. Andrea has planned!
City of Melissa offices and the Melissa Public Library will be closed early on Nov. 30, at 3:00 p.m.