PRINCETON — Class 5A Wylie East rolled to four first-half goals then to a 5-1 victory over Anna on Day 2 of Princeton’s annual soccer tournament at Jackie Hendricks Stadium. Under sparkling blue skies in comfortable 59-degree conditions, the Coyotes initially hung with the team many saw as the tournament favorite. But after the first 10 minutes or so, Wylie East established control.

“I thought we started the game really well,” Anna head coach Matt Ellis said. “We were on top of them early. Then we have a non-foul and don’t get the call we want and it’s like our mentality shifts. We’ve got to be better than that.

“We go down, 4-0, at halftime and three of the four goals we could’ve easily prevented or we created for them. We did a lot of things to punish ourselves today I guess is the best way to put it. They’re a good team and take nothing away from them, but we made it a lot easier for them than it should have been.”

Freshman Coyote goalkeeper Phillip Henson played the first half — posting all five Anna five saves — and sophomore David Joaquin came on in the second.

In that second period, after the Raiders punched in another goal six minutes in, Anna senior Jose Flores got the Coyotes on the board with 26:21 left to play after battling a defender for the ball for a good 15 yards. Flores’ shot from 10 yards out chipped in right-to-left and Anna trailed, 5-1. There the score would remain.

“We tied the second half, 1-1, so I’ll take that,” Ellis said. “I’m looking for us to win the second half. That’s the first thing we’ve got to do. If we can win the second half, we can find a way to get back in the game. I thought we defended better on set pieces ([in the second half). … I thought we looked better today than we did yesterday, take away the set-piece issues.”

Wylie East’s first goal came just under 20 minutes into the match on a header off a pass from the right side. The ball hit the back of the net just past a diving Henson.

Three minutes later, the Raiders popped a rebound goal into an empty net after Henson had dived to stop a previous shot. At 9:35 before the break, a Wylie East attacker stole the ball near Anna’s net and fired in a right-to-left shot at a tough angle and the Raiders’ lead was 3-0.

Wylie East added another header goal two minutes before halftime.