Plenty of Anna athletes stood out at the Van Alstyne Panther Relays on Thursday, March 9, under cool, thin-overcast skies. A Coyote varsity highlight was senior Elijah Smith, who took first place in the 400-meter run with a time of 50.67 seconds. Other notable Anna performances included sophomore Madison Hemenway, who took silver in the 1,600-meters with a time of 5 minutes, 51.67 seconds. She also placed third in the 3,200 meters, covering the two miles in 12 minutes, 40.04 seconds. Additionally, senior Raye Moran earned silver in the 800 meters with a time of 2 minutes, 26.46 seconds, and junior Tamaya Tutson finished third in both the 100- and 200-meter dashes with times of 13.42 and 27.33 seconds, respectively. The Lady Coyotes’ 4x400-meter relay team of Tutson, Moran, Jazmin Pender and Jada Ramirez claimed silver in the four-lap event, with a time of 4 minutes, 12.08 seconds.
As a team, the Lady Coyotes placed sixth in the eight-team field, with 56 points. Leonard took first, with 126 points.
Other varsity boys highlights include:
• Smith – second in the triple jump; 9 feet, 6 inches
• Smith – second in the 800 meters; 2 minutes, 4.59 seconds
• Aaron Lee – second in the 400 meters; 23.81 seconds
• Josh Abara – third in the 100 meters; 11.9 seconds
• Abara/Lee/Jonathan Venable/Keelan Crosby – fourth in 4x100 relay; 44.52 seconds
• Crosby/Venable/Smith/Amyri Cox – fourth in 4x400 relay; 3 minutes, 35.8 seconds
As a team, the Coyotes finished sixth in the eight-team field, with 66 points. Aubrey took first place with 140.5 points.