The pews were full of Westminster First Baptist Church members and area residents on the morning of Saturday, Oct. 5, for the Collin County Historical Commission dedication of the Texas Historical Marker for Westminster College.
The college, which stood on the site of the First Baptist Church, was a preparatory school and college offering degrees and as a theological seminary for students, primarily serving Collin County between 1892 and 1918. Financial problems forced the school to close in 1918, and the building was bought by Westminster Baptist Church and used as its sanctuary until it was demolished in 1972.
The dedication program included a Westminster College history presentation by Margaret Milam followed by college memories by church members, including 94- year-old Joe Pearce, who unveiled the historical marker. Complimentary copies of a comprehensive Westminster College history written by Joy Gough were available for everyone attending.
Following the dedication refreshments were served in the church.