The 2018 Summer Reading Program at the Melissa Public Library runs from June 4 to August 6 and is intended for ages 0 to 14. Reading logs will be handed out upon registration to record the titles of books being read this summer.
The reading challenge is to read or be read to for total of 800 minutes or more to be eligible to complete the reading program. Each time you reach 100 minutes, you can drop by the library and pick out a prize from the treasure box (only one visit per week). The library will give your reading logs to your school at the end of the program.
Speaking of the treasure box…do you have any extra ‘trinkets or treasures’ laying around? The library is looking for those fun little toys from the drive-thrus, any nice toys, knick-knacks or odds-and-ends as well as packaged treats or sodas. Please consider donating these for the Summer Reading Program. You can drop them off at the library anytime.
Libraries Rock! is the theme this year as the library programming officially dances off on Saturday, June 9 at Melissa City Hall. That day will be rockin’ like crazy, so stop by and dance off with DJ Barnes, learn some new fun moves from Miss Tori, come dressed as your fav rocker, play in the spray fountain, games, events and more! Join the library from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Below are some of the activities the library will have:
• Give the gift of life to your community this month! Donate to the Carter BloodCare Blood Drive from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and receive an exclusive Texas Rangers T-shirt and a BOGO Texas Rangers ticket voucher. Sign up at https://tinyurl.com/ydfvrc6r or contact email@example.com or call 972-837-4540 for Lorelei Perkins.
• DJ Barnes will rock the plaza from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
• The In-N-Out Truck will be at the library from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (or until the 700 burgers run out). Just show your Melissa Library card or get one right there. For $10 for the Friends of the Melissa Public Library, you will get two cheeseburgers, chips and a drink.
• Bring your dinero and keep cool with ice cream and drinks from Everything Ice Cream, one of the great library sponsors.
• Register the kids for the Summer Reading Program. Keep those great reading skills going through the heat! Win prizes, too.